Soon I will be going to an overseas conference for work and I recently came back from a local one. I travel a lot, for work and pleasure, locally and internationally. I must admit that packing (and unpacking) are my least favourite parts of the whole experience.
Apart from the things you’d expect like money, ID / passport, tissues and phone, I have some essentials that go with me whenever I travel. My astrological sign is Virgo, which means that I am a bit of a perfectionist (or so I am told!). I’m sure you’ll able to tell from my list!
- Camera, spare batteries, lens cleaner and lenses. Depending on where I am going, this might include our big 150-600mm lens for wildlife photography.
- My Kindle. I do love reading ‘proper’ books, but when I am travelling, I think a Kindle is a blessing and saves on the weight inside my suitcase!
- Journal and pen – inspiration may strike at any time!
- If I’m travelling locally in South Africa, I take my portable wi-fi router. It means I always have internet and don’t have to pay hefty data charges.
- A flash stick – you never know when you might need one!
- A small 1st aid bag. This varies in size depending on where I am going, how I am travelling and for how long. Must have essentials include a small bottle of lavender and tea tree essential oils, painkillers, activated charcoal tablets (recommended for food poisoning and diarrhoea), eye drops, rehydration sachets, muscle cream and anti-histamine cream.
- A refreshing facial spray made with spring water, a smidgen of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of my favourite aromatherapy oils (such as lavender, geranium and tea tree)
- Ginger sweets for travel sickness and maybe some other kind of nibbles, as I cannot do without chocolate!
- Headphones and adapter for plane connections – the type that cover your ears – very useful on the aeroplane to cancel out noise.
- A crystal ‘guardian angel’ – to watch over me on my travels