Welcome to Everyday Delights
I’m so pleased that you found me and stopped by to read about this blog. Every day, I try to find something extraordinary or special in the world around me. It’s about being present in the now. It’s about looking for the details in the colours, light, sounds, aromas, trying to see things from a fresh or different perspective. About celebrating and enjoying the routines of every day. But I’m human and I don’t always have the energy or the emotional balance to find something special. That’s OK too.
What’s this blog about?
This blog is a place where I record what I notice in the world around me. Initially, I started this as part of my 2015 100 Happy Days challenge, where I took a photo and wrote a related blog post, every day for 100 days. After that challenge finished, I decided to continue.
Recently, I have been exploring and experimenting with travel journalling as a way to help me record what I notice when I travel. And more importantly, to help me remember my travels. I took inspiration from Cathy (wander.essence) who described it as “the intentional experience of a destination” rather than just somewhere we go to tick it off a list.
Many of my posts are photography related, as I am doing an ongoing 365 photography project (now in my 5th year). Some are musings on what life throws at me, and others are just about noticing the everyday delights in the world around me. Please join me in my search and in celebrating Everyday Delights.
Who am I?
I am a passionate, holistic photographer and enthusiastic blogger, looking for the many delights in the everyday mundane. I live in a small town in the Eastern Cape, South Africa and I have been taking photos since 1997 when I bought my first film SLR. I’ve been on a journey into photography for many years. I’m constantly trying to be a better photographer and in some of my posts, I share what I’ve learnt about myself and my photography.
Feel Good List
When I first started this blog, I create some “Happiness Resolutions” (an idea I got from reading Gretchen Rubin). I used to review them every year and I use them as my guides in looking for Everyday Delights. You can see a list of them at the end of this page.
But in October 2018, I had an epiphany about “Living Joyfully” that changed the way I thought about happiness, and the idea of happiness resolutions did not sit so well with me anymore. I launched these in a recent post.
The current list:
Sitting in the winter sun
Watching the bees and other flying insects
Listening to birdsong
Sitting on the grass with a cup of tea
The excitement of new books
A soft, cuddly blanket
Unstructured time & public holidays
Sea air and oceans in general
Sunshine on my face
Coffee with my son
Standing barefoot on the grass
Taking care of myself
Music and dancing
Smelling lavender or rosemary
Latest additions to the site
Have a look at my new Inspirations page – books that inspire me in my writing.
Also check out my Journey Into Photography page, where I draw together all the loose threads: my journey and what I’ve learnt along the way, my feature series, photography posts about places, experiences, animals and challenges.
Intentional categories (April 2019)
I recently started a new practice of using intentional planning each week to keep me focused on my current broader intentions concentrating on specific areas of my life. I have set these up as categories and menu items as my way of structuring my thoughts for posts.
- Creativity which includes previous Photography and Foto Friday posts and might at some stage bring in dance, theater, music, art and more.
- Experiences and adventures with people and places (includes older Travel posts and my more recent Transitions series)
- Spirituality and Self: primarily about my own personal growth, mindfulness and increasing spirituality as well as sharing my thoughts on well being and nourishing myself
- Home Grown: My home is an expression of myself. Posts about how I use my home space to nourish and express myself.
- Living Joyfully. I started this series last year (2018) and occasionally post about those things that bring real joy into my life. These may well cross over into Creativity and Experiences too! Life, after all, cannot be neatly categorised into one slot.
These ones haven’t changed but I’ve made them more prominent:
- Everyday Delights for when I just need to post about that small delight that I have stumbled upon!
- Love of Words. Sometimes I play with words and participate in Six Word Stories challenges.
- Natural World. As it says on the tin!
Leave me a message in the comments!
Previous Happiness Resolutions